Gladstone Regional Council
2011 to 2014
We’ve been working with Gladstone Regional Council for a number of years on a series of people and performance projects including:
- Leadership Capabilities
- Leadership Systems
- Team Dynamics
- Team Re Launch Sessions
- Change and Stress Management Interventions
- Conflict Resolution and ‘Clear the Air Sessions’
- Interpersonal Strategies
CASE STUDY 2011-2014
Assignment Context & Period:
- Amalgamation occurred in 2008 between the Gladstone city, Calliope & Miriam Vale Shires.
- Disruptive legacy issues surrounding shifting leadership, changing teams & restructuring triggered a considerable range of interpersonal, interdepartmental & operational performance concerns.
- After a drawn out Enterprise Bargaining process, MGA TRAINING were awarded the assignment to assess, design & deliver a range of educational & intervention based solutions between 2011 to 2014.
Assignment Brief & Contribution:
- Directors, Coordinators, Managers, Supervisors, Gangers & Leading hands across all directorates were the key beneficiaries.
- Help reconnect, realign, refocus & re enthuse business units across the council to deliver their KPI’s & services to the community with greater harmony, consistency & quality.
- Intervene, assess, advise, coach & mentor leaders & their staff toward the development of high functioning galvanised teams.
- Provide leaders & their teams with a platform of leadership, communication, interpersonal & coping strategies to enable the employee community to drive & thrive through significant change.
Presenting problems & concerns:
- Lack of cohesion, poor morale & growing frustration.
- Conflict, tension, grievances & disputes. Leadership time & energy immersed in handling escalating drama.
- Ineffective leadership. Lacking capability & confidence to deal with an array of difficult & volatile matters.
- Dramatic drop in work standards & rates of completion.
- Increased customer complaints & unmanageable levels of CSR’s.
- Excessive staff turn-over & steep rise in extended sick & stress leave.
- Excessive strain on exhausted leadership & staff in scheduling work teams to complete back log of work.
Installations & Achievements
- Completed a comprehensive employee feedback process, pinpointing development requirements & collating opinions on development & outcomes priorities. Established groundswell of support & buy in for the process.
- Designed & delivered an extensive curriculum of skills programs, interventions & strategy events customised to meet the unique people & performance challenges facing Gladstone Regional Council.
- Interpersonal IQ Skills Program. Connect, communicate & collaborate with mutual respect.
- Platform Leadership Strategy. A standard approach to coordinating expectations & behaviours.
- Situational Leadership Skills. Techniques to deal successfully with common workplace scenarios.
- Focus Group & Team Re Launch sessions. Aligning, refocusing, reconnecting & re energising teams.
- Interventions & “Clear Air” sessions. Resolving long term conflict, resentment & frustration.
- Stress reduction & Resilience Strategy program. Preserving wellbeing under stress & pressure.
- Created a common language of leadership & interactions to guide interpersonal & leadership behaviours.
- Empowered leaders & their crew to operate with more open, confident & safe exchange.
- Solved long term bottle necks in productivity, particularly when related to relationship & moral issues.
- Raised the capability of teams to plan, cooperate & overcome hurdles in order to deliver results.